Update

Okay.
This infographic drove me crazy.
This was not my first infographic – I created my first one last spring for Whalen’s Writing Through Digital Media class.
At the end of that presentation, I realized that my biggest problem with infographics is trying to find a good way to lay out the entire image.  My first one, on the basics of being transgender, was a long, vertical layout with no exciting way to bring it all together.  I seemed to forget this going into my second graphic.
I made the same mistake again – I just went for it.  According to Twitter, I started the graphic on September 9 and in a few days I switched to try another layout. Here are some layouts I had:

As you can see, I had a lot more information on the image in the beginning.  In the end I decided to cut down the information so that people would read it and not feel overwhelmed.
This lasted until this weekend, when I switched to a horizontal view, putting the map of the US in the background.  Last night I finally settled on putting the graphics on the map and the information off of it.
I am proud of this image, but I’m not in love with it.  Comparing this to the trans one, my heart wasn’t as in this as it was in the trans one.  Granted, it is hard to compare the trans infographic (an identity that I have) with the Pony Express (a form of communication I picked on a whim), but still.  Don’t get me wrong – I enjoyed creating this.  However, I was frustrated by creating a good layout and it drove me crazy.
I’m not an artist, I only dabble in image creating/editing software and graphic design.   That is why for me, projects are always the most difficult in the beginning because I never have any idea of how it is supposed to look.  Once I get going with an overall idea of what the final product will look like I get excited and motivated.  But, for whatever reason I couldn’t (and still can’t) figure out how I want this piece to look.

Even as I look at it I just thought of a better way to lay it out.

Ugh.

I’ll do that later in the semester.  For now, I need to get out of the 1860.