Hello Digital History World!

My name is Caitlin, and I am a student at University of Mary Washington. I am a senior, and I am double majoring in History and Digital Media Studies. I took this class because I love the ways in which technology affects the word around us, and I find the way in which it has come to infiltrate even the most “technologically impaired” persons life fascinating. While I like to think I have a basic grasp of modern technology, I don’t know nearly as much as I’d like about either the technology itself or its evolution. Moreover, I took the History of the Information Age with Professor McClurken last semester, and greatly enjoyed the class and what we studied. Taking Digital History seemed like a way to continue that conversation, while simultaneously focusing my energy on a single group project.

In this space, I will be discussing my thoughts on the digital history, and more specifically, the evolution of my group project for this class. My group members and I are working on archiving and analyzing a collection of lectures by James Farmer. The source material is extensive, largely untouched, and only partially digitized. I am extremely excited to work with the audio and video we have, and to try and gain a better sense of what this remarkable man was like. I feel like this project will be both intellectually and technologically challenging, and I look forward to seeing what can be done!